Re: utf8 COPY DELIMITER?

From: Mark Dilger <pgsql(at)markdilger(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: utf8 COPY DELIMITER?
Date: 2007-04-17 16:28:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Mark Dilger wrote:
>> The \COPY command rejects multibyte delimiters. Is this intentional
>> behavior?
>
> It is certainly a known limitation, and I suspect removing it could add
> non-trivial overhead to the input processing.
>
> What is the use case for using such a delimiter?

I'm working on fixing bugs relating to multibyte character encodings. I
wasn't sure whether this was a bug or not. I don't think we should
use the phrasing "COPY delimiter must be a single character" when, in
utf8 land, I did in fact use a single character. We might say "a single
byte", or we might extend the functionality to handle multibyte characters.

mark