Re: [INTERFACES] A question on triggers

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Constantin Teodorescu <teo(at)flex(dot)ro>
Cc: Ed Loehr <eloehr(at)austin(dot)rr(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] A question on triggers
Date: 2000-02-16 22:13:13
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> But wouldn't be nice if PostgreSQL could offer a more elegant solution?

Can't you do it with the normal GRANT/REVOKE access-control mechanism?

I'm pretty sure that for rules (views), the access rights for queries
issued within the rule are checked based on the owner of the rule, not
the user who invoked the rule. Triggers ought to work the same way,
though I haven't tried it. So you could make the trigger function and
the protected table owned by the same user, and then not grant write
permission on that table to anyone else.