Re: Vacuum stops with misleading max_fsm_pages error

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Kieran Cooper, Lyris UK" <kieran(at)lyris(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Vacuum stops with misleading max_fsm_pages error
Date: 2007-04-16 22:08:54
Lists: pgsql-admin

Kieran Cooper, Lyris UK wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> We're managing a database on version 8.2.3 (running Lyris ListManager
> email software). I ran a 'vacuum analyze full verbose' (we haven't been
> able to get autovacuum to work properly on Lyris installs so we need to
> run a full vacuum every week or so, and we'd been doing some work on
> this machine so it needed it)

Why not just set up a regular vacuum to run twice a day?

. It ran happily for quite a while - about
> 2 thirds of the way through the database - but then ended with the lines
>
> INFO: free space map contains 20914 pages in 61 relations
> DETAIL: A total of 14992 page slots are in use (including overhead).
> 14992 page slots are required to track all free space.
> Current limits are: 900000 page slots, 6000 relations, using 5659 kB.
>
> This happens (at more or less the same point but with slightly different
> figures) each time I try to run this command. It also happens even if I
> only do vacuum verbose.

I am not sure what your question is. The above looks perfectly reasonable.

> I can vacuum individual tables quite happily but I'm not sure I can
> manage to do all of them individually.

See comment above about using a vacuum/vacuum analyze twice a day.

> As you see, I've upped the page slots and relations (there are 131
> tables in the database in total) and it seems to me like there is more
> than enough.

Yep.

> Any ideas would be gratefully received!

...? The only thing I would say is that you are entirely too many
max_fsm_pages and max_fsm_relations. I would drop it back dow:

max_fsm_pages = 100000
max_fsm_relations = 1000

But that doesn't really answer your question as much as state that you
don't need as much as you have.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/