Re: Hacking on PostgreSQL via GIT

From: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
To: Martin Langhoff <martin(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hacking on PostgreSQL via GIT
Date: 2007-04-16 18:12:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Martin Langhoff wrote:
> Hi Florian,
>
> I am right now running an rsync of the Pg CVS repo to my work machine to
> get a git import underway. I'm rather keen on seeing your cool PITR Pg
> project go well and I have some git+cvs fu I can apply here (being one
> of the git-cvsimport maintainers) ;-)
Cool - I'm new to git, so I really appreciate any help that I can get.

> For the kind of work you'll be doing (writing patches that you'll want
> to be rebasing onto the latest HEAD for merging later) git is probably
> the best tool. That's what I use it for... tracking my experimental /
> custom branches of projects that use CVS or SVN :-)
Thats how I figured I'd work - though I don't yet understand what
the advantage of "rebase" is over "merge".

Currently, I've setup a git repo that pulls in the changes from the SVN
repo, and pushed them to my main soc git repo. On that main repo I have
two branches, master and pgsql-head, and I call "cg-merge pgsql-head"
if I want to merge with CVS HEAD.

> Initially, I'll post it on http://git.catalyst.net.nz/ and I can run a
> daily import for you - once that's in place you can probably get a repo
> with your work on http://repo.or.cz/
Having a git mirror of the pgsql CVS would be great.
BTW, I've just check out repo.or.cz, and noticed that there is already a
git mirror of the pgsql CVS: http://repo.or.cz/w/PostgreSQL.git

greetings + thanks
Florian Pflug