Debian upgrade and PGSQL pid file

From: Tom Allison <tom(at)tacocat(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Debian upgrade and PGSQL pid file
Date: 2007-04-10 10:01:34
Lists: pgsql-general

A while back I threw together a postgresql installation on a computer with a
RAID disk for performance reasons. I never got it working 100% since it was
just a quick weekend adventure and I never expected much to come of it.

Famous last words...

I'm not trying to upgrade the database via debians recent release and ran into
an error from the debian scripts:

Preparing to replace postgresql-8.1 8.1.5-1 (using
.../postgresql-8.1_8.1.8-1_i386.deb) ...
Stopping PostgreSQL 8.1 database server: main* Error: pid file is invalid,
please manually kill the stale server process.
failed!
invoke-rc.d: initscript postgresql-8.1, action "stop" failed.
dpkg: warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
Stopping PostgreSQL 8.1 database server: main* Error: pid file is invalid,
please manually kill the stale server process.
failed!
invoke-rc.d: initscript postgresql-8.1, action "stop" failed.

------------
From the postgres config file I have:
# The default values of these variables are driven from the -D command line
# switch or PGDATA environment variable, represented here as ConfigDir.

data_directory = '/raid/postgresql/' # use data in another
directory
hba_file = '/etc/postgresql/8.1/main/pg_hba.conf' # host-based
authentication file
ident_file = '/etc/postgresql/8.1/main/pg_ident.conf' # IDENT configuration file

# If external_pid_file is not explicitly set, no extra pid file is written.
external_pid_file = '/var/run/postgresql/8.1-main.pid' # write an extra
pid file

----------------
This is my mount entry for my /raid/ partition
/dev/md0 on /raid type reiserfs (rw,noatime)

---------------
I actually have a pid file in both locations:
/raid/postgresql/postmaster.pid,
/var/run/postgresql/8.1-main.pid

So I guess it never reall worked right.
BTW: PG_VERSION says 8.1

And:
/raid/postgresql/ has a *lot* of files I was expecting to see somewhere else
(like /etc/postgresql)

CoolerMaster:/raid/postgresql# ls -l
total 37
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 4 Dec 4 03:35 PG_VERSION
drwx------ 9 postgres postgres 216 Jan 24 20:37 base
drwx------ 2 postgres postgres 672 Apr 10 06:00 global
drwx------ 2 postgres postgres 96 Apr 1 19:14 pg_clog
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 3396 Dec 4 03:35 pg_hba.conf
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 1460 Dec 4 03:35 pg_ident.conf
drwx------ 4 postgres postgres 96 Dec 4 03:35 pg_multixact
drwx------ 2 postgres postgres 72 Apr 6 14:19 pg_subtrans
drwx------ 2 postgres postgres 48 Dec 4 03:35 pg_tblspc
drwx------ 2 postgres postgres 48 Dec 4 03:35 pg_twophase
drwx------ 3 postgres postgres 880 Apr 10 02:22 pg_xlog
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 13682 Dec 4 03:35 postgresql.conf
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 125 Mar 9 05:36 postmaster.opts
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 42 Mar 9 05:36 postmaster.pid
CoolerMaster:/raid/postgresql# cat PG_VERSION
8.1

My permissions setting in pg_hba.conf indicate that I'm using the pg_hba.conf
from /etc/postgresql/... and not this one listed above. So I'm not really sure
what they are even doing here, but am hesitant to just delete them.

How should it work and how do I get it there?