Re: elog(FATAL) vs shared memory

From: Stuart Bishop <stuart(dot)bishop(at)canonical(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Mark Shuttleworth <mark(at)ubuntu(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Martin Pitt <martin(dot)pitt(at)ubuntu(dot)com>
Subject: Re: elog(FATAL) vs shared memory
Date: 2007-04-07 14:31:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Stuart Bishop <stuart(dot)bishop(at)canonical(dot)com> writes:
>> After a test is run, the test harness kills any outstanding connections so
>> we can drop the test database. Without this, a failing test could leave open
>> connections dangling causing the drop database to block.
>
> Just to make it perfectly clear: we don't consider SIGTERMing individual
> backends to be a supported operation (maybe someday, but not today).
> That's why you had to resort to plpythonu to do this. I hope you don't
> have anything analogous in your production databases ...

No - just the test suite. It seems the only way to terminate any open
connections, which is a requirement for hooking PostgreSQL up to a test
suite or any other situation where you need to drop a database *now* rather
than when your clients decide to disconnect (well... unless we refactor to
start a dedicated postgres instance for each test, but our overheads are
already pretty huge).

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart(dot)bishop(at)canonical(dot)com> http://www.canonical.com/
Canonical Ltd. http://www.ubuntu.com/