Re: Feature thought: idle in transaction timeout

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Russell Smith <mr-russ(at)pws(dot)com(dot)au>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Feature thought: idle in transaction timeout
Date: 2007-04-03 02:36:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Joshua D. Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> writes:
>> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>> Added to TODO:
>>> * Add idle_timeout GUC so locks are not held for log periods of time
>
>> That should actually be transaction_idle_timeout. It is o.k. for us to
>> be IDLE... it is not o.k. for us to be IDLE in Transaction
>
> Or "idle_in_transaction_timeout"?

Yeah that would work and it is what I originally typed before
backspacing. I was trying to avoid the _in_ but either way.

> Anyway I agree that using
> "idle_timeout" for this is unwise. We've been asked often enough for a
> flat-out idle timeout (ie kill session after X seconds of no client
> interaction), and while I disagree with the concept, someday we might

Well I agree that we shouldn't kill sessions just because they are idle,
I can imagine all the lovely... my pgpool sessions keep getting killed!
comments.

> cave and implement it. We should reserve the name for the behavior
> that people would expect a parameter named like that to have.

Agreed.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/