Re: Providing user based previleges to Postgres DB

From: Carlos Moreno <moreno_pg(at)mochima(dot)com>
To: ramachandra(dot)bhaskaram(at)wipro(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Providing user based previleges to Postgres DB
Date: 2007-04-02 14:42:13
Lists: pgsql-performance

ramachandra(dot)bhaskaram(at)wipro(dot)com wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Currently in one of the projects we want to restrict the
> unauthorized users to the Postgres DB. Here we are using Postgres
> version 8.2.0
>
> Can anybody tell me how can I provide the user based previleges
> to the Postgres DB so that, we can restrict the unauthorized users as
> well as porivde the access control to the users based on the set
> previleges by the administrator.

The pgsql-general list might be more appropriate for this type of
question... Still:

Are you talking restrictions based on database-users ? If so, look
up grant and revoke in the PG documentation (under SQL commands).

If you're talking about restricting system-users to even attempt to use
psql (which really, would not be much of a restriction), then perhaps
you would have to assign a group-owner to the file psql and grant
execute permission to the group only (well, and owner).

HTH,

Carlos