Re: pgadmin III crashes when inserting a row (1.6.2 and 1.6.3)

From: Derrick Betts <list(at)blueaxis(dot)com>
To: Jeanie Schwenk <jeanie(dot)schwenk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgadmin III crashes when inserting a row (1.6.2 and 1.6.3)
Date: 2007-03-31 15:01:23
Lists: pgadmin-support

Jeanie Schwenk wrote:
> Thank you for your post Dave. To answer your questions, the encoding
> is SQL_ASCII. Here are the database and table definitions as well as
> the table's contents:
>
> CREATE DATABASE "Scrip"
> WITH OWNER = postgres
> ENCODING = 'SQL_ASCII'
> TABLESPACE = pg_default;
>
> CREATE TABLE "organization"
> (
> "name" character varying(50) NOT NULL,
> "campus" character varying(50) NOT NULL,
> CONSTRAINT "organization_pkey" PRIMARY KEY ("name", "campus")
> )
>
> The table contents are ascii (as seen from the pgadmin III Edit Data):
>
> name campus
> Heritage Christian School Grammar
> Heritage Christian School Logic and Rhetoric
> test test2
>
> HOWEVER, when I use the option to type in a query (pgAdmin III Query),
> I can see that it is pointing to the correct database (Scrip on
> localhost:5432) but "select * from organization" returns the following
> error:
>
> ERROR: relation "organization" does not exist
> SQL state: 42P01
>
> So I have to conclude that it cannot see the table (perhaps not even
> the database). When I add a row through the Edit Data window, I type
> text in the first column and then text in the second column. When I
> hit return, it thinks for a little bit and then crashes. Can you
> tell me why the select query failed and yet I was able to add fourth
> row through the Edit Data window?
>
> Regards,
>
> Jeanie
>

> On 3/30/07, *Dave Page* <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org
> <mailto:dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>> wrote:
>
> jeanie(dot)schwenk(at)gmail(dot)com <mailto:jeanie(dot)schwenk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > Here's what I have done:
> >
> > Installed postgresql 8.2 on XP Home (SP2)
> > Created a database
> > Created a table
> > Added two columns to the table (combined to make the key)
> >
> > I then tried to add one row of data. I entered the text into both
> > columns. When I hit return, it crashed. The data is there when I
> > bring it up again but having in crash every time I enter a
> single row
> > is rather unpleasant and it essentially makes the tool unusable for
> > what I need to do to initially setup the database.
> >
> > I then installed pgadmin 1.6.3 in hopes that would improve matters.
> > Nope, same problem.
>
> I cannot reproduce this in a simple test - what does your table
> definition look like exactly, and what values are you entering? Also,
> what encoding is your database in?
>

> >>From reading the posts, this has occurred in past releases as well.
> > Does anyone have a workaround yet?
>
> That was in the 1.5 development code in which there were some
> threading
> issues which have long since been sorted.
>
> Regards, Dave

I'm not an expert, however, your SQL query may need the double quotes
around the field names and table name. Your table definition created
the field names and table names with double quotes, therefore your SQL
query must call those field names and table names with the double quotes
as well.

Hope that helps,
Derrick