Re: Debugger integration

From: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Hiroshi Saito <z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: Debugger integration
Date: 2007-03-30 15:37:49
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dave Page wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> So far, the code has been modified mainly to get rid of it's use of MDI
> windows, and to use wxAUI instead, and to integrate it into the pgAdmin
> build system.
Cool.

> Having tried it on OS X, I find we have a problem. On that platform,
> executables are distributed inside 'appbundles' [1] which include
> resources without which applications cannot be used (they start, but
> cannot gain focus). What I didn't realise though, was that there doesn't
> seem to be a way to include the resources for two executables in the
> same appbundle.

> Another option is to build a second appbundle for the debugger, however
> we would want this to be included within the pgAdmin appbundle, not
> externally. I cannot see from the docs if this is actually possible.
> Anyone know?
I believe that this is possible - I'll have to check, but I can vaguely
remember that I already saw applications in the wild that did exactly
this. Actually, it might be as easy as just putting a normal appbundle
into the Ressources folder.

> The final option (which I am currently favouring) would be to move the
> debugger code into pgAdmin itself, rather than keeping it as a separate
> application. This has the disadvantage that the architecture if the
> debugger is quite different from pgAdmin, so whilst it could work, it
> will always seem a little odd unless largely rewritten.
Sounds like the most elegant option - do you think this will happen
before 1.8, or should we pursue the appbundle-inside-appbundle idea
for 1.8

greetings, Florian Pflug