Debugger integration

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Hiroshi Saito <z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp>, "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
Subject: Debugger integration
Date: 2007-03-30 14:43:37
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi all,

At Hiroshi's request I've just been testing the pl/pgsql debugger that
he's been working on under OS X (For those that don't know, EnterpriseDB
donated their wxWidgets based prototype debugger to us under our normal
licence).

So far, the code has been modified mainly to get rid of it's use of MDI
windows, and to use wxAUI instead, and to integrate it into the pgAdmin
build system.

Having tried it on OS X, I find we have a problem. On that platform,
executables are distributed inside 'appbundles' [1] which include
resources without which applications cannot be used (they start, but
cannot gain focus). What I didn't realise though, was that there doesn't
seem to be a way to include the resources for two executables in the
same appbundle.

One workaround is to embed the resources into the debugger executable -
this can be done with:

`wx-config --rescomp` debugger

However, whilst this works, the application menu still takes on the name
of the appbundle (pgAdmin3), so you end up with the strange case where
choosing the 'Exit pgAdmin3' menu option only exits the debugger.

Another option is to build a second appbundle for the debugger, however
we would want this to be included within the pgAdmin appbundle, not
externally. I cannot see from the docs if this is actually possible.
Anyone know?

The final option (which I am currently favouring) would be to move the
debugger code into pgAdmin itself, rather than keeping it as a separate
application. This has the disadvantage that the architecture if the
debugger is quite different from pgAdmin, so whilst it could work, it
will always seem a little odd unless largely rewritten.

Thoughts?

Regards, Dave.

[1]
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/CoreFoundation/Conceptual/CFBundles/index.html