Re: unexpected data beyond EOF and character encoding

From: Jaime Silvela <JSilvela(at)Bear(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: unexpected data beyond EOF and character encoding
Date: 2007-03-28 14:52:26
Lists: pgsql-general

The kernel is Linux 2.6.5
I'll drop and redo this evening after hours - the migration takes a
couple of hours. The source database is under medium load, with a couple
of heavy updates, but the target database is a clean 8.2.3 install, and
only being written to by pg_restore.
So I take it that this happens on the restore part, not the dump part then?

Thanks
Jaime

Tom Lane wrote:
> Jaime Silvela <JSilvela(at)Bear(dot)com> writes:
>
>> I'm seeing these messages
>>

>> ERROR: unexpected data beyond EOF in block 4506 of relation
>> "coverage_test_val"
>> HINT: This has been seen to occur with buggy kernels; consider updating
>> your system.
>>

> So what kernel are you running, on what hardware? Is the problem
> reproducible if you drop the target database and start over? The
> known cases of this problem have been under heavy concurrent update
> load (multiple sessions trying to extend a table concurrently).
> I don't entirely see how you could get it if the COPY is the only
> thing writing that table ...
>
> regards, tom lane

Bear Stearns does not provide tax, legal or accounting advice. You
should consult your own tax, legal and accounting advisors before
engaging in any transaction. In order for Bear Stearns to comply with
Internal Revenue Service Circular 230 (if applicable), you are notified
that any discussion of U.S. federal tax issues contained or referred to
herein is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for
the purpose of: (A) avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the
Internal Revenue Code; nor (B) promoting, marketing or recommending to
another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.