Re: Alter or rename enum value

From: Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Matthias Kurz <m(dot)kurz(at)irregular(dot)at>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Alter or rename enum value
Date: 2016-03-25 19:22:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mar 25, 2016, at 11:50 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:

> I don't believe anyone knows how to do that safely.

The core issue, for me, is that not being able to modify enum values in a transaction breaks a very wide variety of database migration tools. Even a very brutal solution like marking indexes containing the altered type invalid on a ROLLBACK would be preferable to the current situation.

--
-- Christophe Pettus
xof(at)thebuild(dot)com