HOT WIP Patch - Version 5.0

From: "Pavan Deolasee" <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: HOT WIP Patch - Version 5.0
Date: 2007-03-21 05:57:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The version 5.0 of HOT WIP patch is posted on pgsql-patches. This
fixes the VACUUM FULL issue with HOT. In all the earlier versions,
I'd disabled VACUUM FULL.

When we move the HOT-chain, we move the chains but don't carry
the HOT_UPDATED or HEAP_ONLY flags and insert as many index
entries as there are tuples in the chain. IOW the HOT-update
is actually turned into a COLD chain.

Apart from this, I'd to make some changes to the VACUUM FULL
code so that the number of indexed tuples is counted
correctly. With HOT, whenever a HEAP_ONLY tuple is moved, an
additional index entry is generated and this needs to be
taken into account.

Please let me know comments/suggestions.

Thanks,
Pavan