Re: PostgreSQL 9.0

From: Peter <peter(at)greatnowhere(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 9.0
Date: 2007-01-30 08:32:10
Lists: pgsql-general

> Personally I'm missing two things, which were discussed in the
> past, but would be nice to have:
> * more efficient storage of varlen data -- some time ago there were
> ideas to get rid of constant 4-bytes for length and use more elastic
> approach. Smaller tables, bigger performance.
> * updatable views [ or am I missing something? ] -- it seems to me
> they were close to be completed, but I don't remember if they were
> completed and committed or not.

I'm missing stuff like true polymorphic function arguments and return
values (where I can mix different datatypes and do variable number of
parameters), also I personally hate 'select * from my_func() as table(x
varchar)' syntax... system should be able to omit the table structure
definition and pick it up from function return.

Oh well, back to work.

Where do we submit wishlist entries, anyway?

Peter