Re: need help in understanding gist function

From: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
To: sharath kumar <k(dot)sharat(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: need help in understanding gist function
Date: 2007-03-14 14:07:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> 1. What is the functionality of gistplacetopage() function in gist.c
> ?Can you please give me detail description of this function.

It tries to place index tuple on page. If page hasn't enough space,
gistplacetopage splits page on two or more pages. Number of page to be splitted
depends, basically, on quality of user-defined picksplit and distribution of
tuple's length.

> 2. I have left and right buffers with values that I have filled. Now,
> how do I write these changes(buffers) permanently into gistentry pages?
Sorry, I don't understand your questions. Where you have left and right buffers?
Real write are produced by bgwriter process, in backend we should just mark
byffer as dirty with a help of MarkBufferDirty call.

WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/