Re: Error while retrieving generated keys

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Gary Greenberg <gary(at)icontrol(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Error while retrieving generated keys
Date: 2007-03-09 19:31:14
Lists: pgsql-jdbc pgsql-odbc

Gary Greenberg wrote:
> I see it now. It should have been, however, mentioned in documentation for
> the JDBC driver.

Agreed, this question has come up many times recently. Would you like to
write a paragraph or two explaining the situation and the workaround?

> In essence it means that PostgreSQL has fallen into the third world of
> database engines.
> I am really disappointed that PostgreSQL is becoming a fossil.

;-) Now you're exaggerating.

> If there are no plans to make this feature work in the very near future,
> I'll be pushing for replacement of the engine.

Ken Johanson posted a preliminary patch in February, but there was a
bunch of issues with it. This is an open source project, so if you'd
like to see it happen, patches are more than welcome.

--
Heikki Linnakangas