Re: HIPPA (was Re: Anyone know ...)

From: Kenneth Downs <ken(at)secdat(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: HIPPA (was Re: Anyone know ...)
Date: 2007-03-09 17:22:19
Lists: pgsql-general

Karsten Hilbert wrote:
>> If the user figures out our URL scheme, they might try something like
>> "?gp_page=patients" and say "Wow I'm clever I'm going to look at the
>> patients table", except that the public user has no privilege on the
>> table. The db server will throw a permission denied error.
>>

> My interest was more towards the "we get an email" part.
> What level do you send that from ? A trigger ?

The web framework does that. The web framework decodes the HTTP request
and executes any SQL it thinks the user wants. If there is a
permissions error then it sends an email to the administrator.

The underlying idea is that the GET/POST parameters are pretty standard
and easy to decode and convert into SQL commands. For instance, by
default we assume a page = a table, and lacking any code that overrides
that assumption, a request for a page becomes a search request in the
table of the same name. This is the first thing a cracker would depend
upon if he were trying to pry.