Re: Using VC++ Express to develop pgAdmin3

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Jeff Boehmer <jeff_boehmer(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using VC++ Express to develop pgAdmin3
Date: 2007-03-06 08:30:24
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Jeff Boehmer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My apologies right up front if this is the wrong place to look for help.
>
> I have been trying to compile and run the latest pgAdmin3 source code
> and after battling my way through compile and link errors I have final
> been stopped cold.

Battling? as long as you have the dependency tree setup correctly (and
with VC++ Express, the platform SDK installed), everything should build
easily on Windows. What did you have to do to get things working?

> When I try to run pgAdmin3 from inside VC Express I get the following
> error...
>
> "Unhandled exception at 0xecdb1e91 in pgAdmin3.exe: 0xC0000005: Access
> violation reading location 0xecdb1e91."
>
> This is occurring in the call stack at...
>
> pgAdmin3.exe!wxULongLongNative::operator+=() + 0x52c3e bytes
> pgAdmin3.exe!__security_init_cookie() Line 174
> pgAdmin3.exe!WinMainCRTStartup() Line 402
>

> Does this look familiar to anyone?

Nope.

> Do I have something obviously wrong with my VC Express setup?

It's possible, but the only changes required from a standard install are
the addition of the platform SDK paths to the config, per
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/usingpsdk/

> Is this related to the
> http://www.pgadmin.org/archives/pgadmin-hackers/2006-04/msg00064.php issue?

No, Andreas was mistaken in that case.

> Is it that VC Express can't be used to develop pgAdmin3 and I'm hosed?
> or I am just a complete prat?

Well I don't know you well enough to comment on the latter :-), but I
use both Visual Studio and VC++ Express to develop pgAdmin without any
problems.

Regards, Dave.