Re: Fastest DB restore options

From: Naomi Walker <nwalke(at)eldocomp(dot)com>
To: "ogjunk-pgjedan(at)yahoo(dot)com" <ogjunk-pgjedan(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fastest DB restore options
Date: 2007-02-22 15:58:31
Lists: pgsql-admin

Consider leaving all indicies off until the load finishes...

Naomi

ogjunk-pgjedan(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a fairly large DB to dump and restore as fast as possible. I'm moving from 8.0.3 to 8.2.3! :)
>
> I normally dump with these options:
>
> -d MyDB --clean --inserts --column-inserts --format=P
>
> But the last time I tried that, the restore took foreeeeeeeeeeeeeever. So I'm looking for the fastest way to import data from the old DB to the new one. Judging from pg_dump man page the following should be the fastest dump & restore:
>
> -d MyDB --format=c --ignore-version
>
> Is there anything else I can do to make the restore as fast as possible?
>
> Thanks,
> Otis

> Simpy -- http://www.simpy.com/ - Tag - Search - Share

> match

Naomi Walker Chief Information Officer
Mphasis Healthcare Solutions nwalker(at)mhs(dot)mphasis(dot)com
---An EDS Company 602-604-3100
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy
enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

-- CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE --

Information transmitted by this e-mail is proprietary to MphasiS and/or its Customers and is intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or it appears that this e-mail has been forwarded to you without proper authority, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this information in any manner is strictly prohibited. In such cases, please notify us immediately at mailmaster(at)mphasis(dot)com and delete this mail from your records.