Re: Column storage positions

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Phil Currier <pcurrier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Column storage positions
Date: 2007-02-21 19:35:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:

> I agree with comments here about the multiple orderings being a horrible
> source of bugs, as well as lots of coding even to make it happen at all
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-12/msg00859.php

I thought we were going with this later proposal of Tom's (on which he's
convinced me):
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-12/msg00983.php - if
not I'm totally confused (situation normal). The current thread started
with this sentence:

> Inspired by this thread [1], and in particular by the idea of storing
> three numbers (permanent ID, on-disk storage position, display
> position) for each column, I spent a little time messing around with a
> prototype implementation of column storage positions to see what kind
> of difference it would make.

I haven't understood Alvaro to suggest not keeping 3 numbers.

cheers

andrew