Re: How to debug performance problems

From: "Craig A(dot) James" <cjames(at)modgraph-usa(dot)com>
To: Ray Stell <stellr(at)cns(dot)vt(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to debug performance problems
Date: 2007-02-21 16:09:49
Lists: pgsql-performance

Ray,

> I'd like to have a toolbox prepared for when performance goes south.
> I'm clueless. Would someone mind providing some detail about how to
> measure these four items Craig listed:

I hope I didn't give the impression that these were the only thing to look at ... those four items just popped into my head, because they've come up repeatedly in this forum. There are surely more things that could be suspect; perhaps others could add to your list.

You can find the answers to each of the four topics I mentioned by looking through the archives of this list. It's a lot of work. It would be really nice if there was some full-time employee somewhere whose job was to monitor this group and pull out common themes that were put into a nice, tidy manual. But this is open-source development, and there is no such person, so you have to dig in and find it yourself.

Craig