tsearch2: word position

From: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: tsearch2: word position
Date: 2007-02-21 15:07:46
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I'm fiddling with to_tsvector() and parse() from tsearch2, trying to get
the word position from those functions. I'd like to use the tsearch2
parser and stemmer, but I need to know the exact position of the word as
well as the original, unstemmed word.

What I came up with so far is pretty ugly:

SELECT
(parse('my test text')).tokid,
(parse('my test text')).token,
strip(to_tsvector((parse('my test text')).token));

And this only tells me a word position, not a character or byte position
within the string. Is there a way to get this information from tsearch2?

Regards

Markus