Re: pgsql: Adjust user-facing documentation to explain why we don't check

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Adjust user-facing documentation to explain why we don't check
Date: 2007-02-20 18:43:43
Lists: pgsql-committers

>> PGPASSFILE takes a full path name, so you can put the file anywhere you
>> want. Just like on Unix.
>
> OK, so we _do_ need to check the permissions on pgpass on Win32, but we
> just don't know how to do that?

If we _need_ to check, I don't know. If you've set PGPASSFILE to
something, then you've made a decision to change from the default, and
it could be argued that we don't have to check for that. It can of
course equally well be argued that we should, yes.

Which would bring is to the "how". If there was an easy way to do the
how, we should probably do it. However, I'm very concerned that we will
break a whole lot more than we fix because the permissions system is
much more complex.

//Magnus