Re: correct format for date, time, timestamp for XML functionality

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net
Subject: Re: correct format for date, time, timestamp for XML functionality
Date: 2007-02-20 15:19:30
Lists: pgsql-patches

Pavel Stehule wrote:
> Hello,
>
> this patch ensures independency datetime fields on current datestyle
> setting. Add new internal datestyle USE_XSD_DATESTYLE. It's almoust
> same to USE_ISO_DATESTYLE. Differences are for timestamp:
>
> ISO: yyyy-mm-dd hh24:mi:ss
> XSD: yyyy-mm-ddThh24:mi:ss

Pavel,

I agree that we should have some support for XSD date style so that we
can produce validatable XML documents. In fact I had to make just such a
transformation on data pulled from Postgres recently in application code
to get a document to validate.

However, I have not seen this topic discussed on -hackers. The way we
work is that ideas about features should be discussed there before you
submit a patch. For one thing, -hackers has a somewhat wider set of
readers than -patches. Also, you might well get good ideas about any
likely difficulties. Just lobbing a patch for an undiscussed feature
over the wall like this is not good practice. You should get signoff on
the idea before you start coding, even for fairly small changes.

cheers

andrew