Re: 8.2 Admin Pack broken?

To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: 8.2 Admin Pack broken?
Date: 2007-02-18 16:43:44
Lists: pgsql-admin

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Andy Shellam (Mailing Lists) wrote:
>
>> Not particularly!! Don't know what it is but it doesn't _appear_ to
>> be GNU. According to "man make" it is a "FreeBSD General Command." I
>> can tell you that "./configure && make && make install" works and
>> builds a working Postgres server just fine, it's just the contribs it
>> doesn't build.
>>

> There is extra code in the top-level makefile that detects if you don't
> run GNU make, tries to find it, and calls it instead. But you need to
> have it installed somewhere. That code, however, is not replicated in
> each directory of the source tree.
>
> In the past, we have usually refered to the GNU make program as "gmake",
> but I see an increasing number of systems, including my own, that no
> longer installs GNU make as "gmake" but only as "make". So basically
> you just need to be careful what you call.

Ah that provides an explanation, thanks Peter! I installed GNU make
before trying to build Postgres as there was another program I needed it
for, so I never crossed this problem while building Postgres.
Yes, regarding make, I've noticed that all GNU stuff I've compiled on
FreeBSD gets installed into /usr/local/ by default, which keeps it
separate from the system programs in /usr.

HTH

Andy