Re: Acclerating INSERT/UPDATE using UPS

From: Hideyuki Kawashima <kawasima(at)cs(dot)tsukuba(dot)ac(dot)jp>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, gene(at)sotech(dot)us, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Acclerating INSERT/UPDATE using UPS
Date: 2007-02-15 12:31:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce,

Let me answer to your question.

Question 1: How much faster is it ?

To answer to your question, I measured execution times of INSERT
operations on concurrent accesses on dual-core x 2 CPU (each 2.80GHz),
In the experiment, each client issues 5000 INSERT operations concurrently.
The following shows the average times (seconds) of 5 measurements.
#Cli: The number of concurrent clients
P-D: PostgreSQL Default (i.e. usual file system)
P-T: PostgreSQL tmpfs
S-D: Sigres Default (i.e. usual file system)
S-T: Sigres tmpfs
P-T/S-T Improve ratio of S-T to P-T

The result shows S-T is 10% to 18% faster than P-T.
Thus my answer to your question is 10% to 18% when concurrency is from1
to 100.

#Cli P-D P-T S-D S-T P-T/S-T
1 1.72 0.50 0.46 0.45 1.10
2 2.87 0.62 0.58 0.54 1.15
3 3.08 0.89 0.77 0.77 1.15
4 3.14 0.98 0.86 0.84 1.16
5 3.31 1.23 1.09 1.07 1.15
6 3.57 1.44 1.31 1.27 1.14
7 3.91 1.68 1.51 1.48 1.14
8 4.49 1.89 1.71 1.67 1.13
9 4.78 2.21 1.9 1.92 1.15
10 5.33 2.47 2.22 2.14 1.15
20 11.50 5.66 5.16 4.86 1.16
50 32.96 16.54 14.92 13.97 1.18
100 79.60 43.71 39.55 38.38 1.14

Question 2: Is that worth adding extra code to improve it ?

Yes, I think it is worth. It is because in the case of commercial DBMS,
only 5% improvement is achieved with version-up.

BTW, I and a friend of mine try to design & implement a parallel access
way to the wal buffer on a shared memory. I think this is promising
direction since WALInsertLock is more frequently issued than
WALWriteLock, and the number of CPU-cores will increase definitely.

-- Hideyuki

--
Hideyuki Kawashima (Ph.D), University of Tsukuba,
Graduate School of Systems and Information Engineering