Re: BUG #2969: Inaccuracies in Solaris FAQ

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Rich Teer <rich(dot)teer(at)rite-group(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2969: Inaccuracies in Solaris FAQ
Date: 2007-02-12 15:45:32
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-patches

Rich Teer wrote:

> Bug reference: 2969
> Logged by: Rich Teer
> Email address: rich(dot)teer(at)rite-group(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 8.2.2
> Operating system: Solaris 10
> Details:
>
> Hi there,
>
> First, many thanks for providing the best open source database! I've
> spotted a couple of errors/bits of bad advice in doc/FAQ_Solaris, which I
> think should be updated.
>
> 1. The answer to question 3 (Why does configure complain about a failed test
> program?) says to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to the directory containing
> the missing libs. While this does work (as does the other suggestion of
> using LD_RUN_PATH), the correct answer to this question is to include the
> library's path in the executable by using the -R flag, thus avoiding the
> need for the end user to mess about with environment variables. For
> example, I use "LDFLAGS=-R/usr/sfw/lib ./configure ..." to build Postgres
> which uses Sun's OpenSSL.

Yes you have right we use -R for official Solaris package as well. Good
comment.

> 2. The answer to question 8 (Can I use DTrace for tracing PostgreSQL?) says
> that Solaris 10u3 or newer is required to handle probes in static functions.
> Unfortunately, this is not the case. DTrace can't be enabled when using
> update 3 (aka 11/06); the (as yet unreleased) update 4 or newer is
> required.

Original plan was release new version of DTrace in the update 3. Thanks
for comment. But if you want to use Dtrace on Solaris 10u3 or older you
can remove static from affected function in the transaction manager. It
is not much clean but it works.

Thanks for the comments and I will prepare a patch asap together with
another improvements.

Thanks Zdenek