Re: [HACKERS] \copy (query) delimiter syntax error

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Patches (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] \copy (query) delimiter syntax error
Date: 2007-02-04 21:20:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:

>> oh, good point. OK, I have cut this quick patch that will continue to
>> accept the legacy syntax in psql in non-inline-query cases, but will
>> make psql unreservedly emit new style syntax for COPY to the backend.
>> Does that seem reasonable, or is it too much of a change for the stable
>> branch?
>>

> We've never promised that psql's backslash commands would work at all
> with older backends, so I think removing compatibility with pre-7.3
> backends at this point isn't a problem. OTOH, going out of your way
> to remove compatibility seems a bit pointless, so I'd vote against the
> "have_query" parts of this patch. Just change the output format.

The consequence will be, though, that psql will accept a syntax for
"\copy (query) ..." that the corresponding backend command would reject
were we not transforming it. That strikes me as potentially confusing.

I don't have very strong feelings either way - anybody else have an
opinion? If not, I'll go with Tom's suggestion.

cheers

andrew