Re: About PostgreSQL certification

From: Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>, Theo Schlossnagle <jesus(at)omniti(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Iannsp <iannsp(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: About PostgreSQL certification
Date: 2007-02-02 01:44:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> To cure the shortage of experienced Postgres folks there is only one
>> solution - err, more experience! So the need is for good training
>> courses (not necessarily certification and all the IMHO nonsense that
>> comes with that), and a willingness on the part of employers to invest
>> in upskilling their staff.
>>

> You know its funny. Command Prompt, OTG-Inc, SRA and Big Nerd Ranch
> *all* offer training.
>
> Last I checked, OTG had to cancel classes because of lack of demand
> (please verify Chander).

We tried to offer classes in Santa Clara, CA (and may do so again), but
didn't have sufficient demand to run them. There were 2 people that had
expressed interest in that class. However, I will say that in 2006 that
was the only class we canceled (keep in mind though, that we run courses
at our headquarters *regardless* of the number of students enrolled -
it's our policy to not cancel classes here...)

On another note, I will say that we're doing well enough to support the
project through SPI...

--
Chander Ganesan
The Open Technology Group