Re: [OT] Very strange postgresql behaviour

From: Carlos Moreno <moreno_pg(at)mochima(dot)com>
To: arnaulist(at)andromeiberica(dot)com
Cc: PostgreSQL Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [OT] Very strange postgresql behaviour
Date: 2007-01-29 19:47:46
Lists: pgsql-performance

Arnau wrote:

> Hi Bill,

>>> I have postgresql 7.4.2 running on debian and I have the oddest
>>> postgresql behaviour I've ever seen.
>>>
>>> I do the following queries:
>>>

>>> espsm_asme=# select customer_app_config_id, customer_app_config_name
>>> from customer_app_config where customer_app_config_id = 5929 or
>>> customer_app_config_id = 11527 order by customer_app_config_id;

Just wild guessing: is there any chance that there may be some form of
"implicit" limit modifier for the select statements on this table? Does
the
behaviour change if you add "limit 2" at the end of the query? Does it
change if you use customer_app_config_id in (5929, 11527) instead?

Another wild guess: if the data is somewhat corrupt, maybe a vacuum
analyze would detect it? Or perhaps try pg_dumping, to see if pg_dump
at some point complains about mssing or corrupt data?

HTH,

Carlos