Phantom command ids again

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Phantom command ids again
Date: 2007-01-29 13:30:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I was about to resubmit the phantom command ids patch for review, as I
noticed a little problem.

In fmgr.c in record_C_func, we cache the xmin and cmin, and later in
lookup_C_func we check that they match to determine if the cached
information is still valid. With phantom command ids, the cmin is not
valid outside the inserting transaction, which makes it unusable for
that purpose.

Similar caching code is used for other PL languages as well.

The best solution I've come up with this far is to use the stored
commandid, even if it's a phantom one, and a flag indicating if it's
phantom or not. Any suggestions?

--
Heikki Linnakangas