Re: Modifying and solidifying contrib

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)seespotcode(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Modifying and solidifying contrib
Date: 2007-01-28 22:14:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I don't think "all or nothing" is a good way to do this. 500
> functions in a schema called extensions isn't much more helpful than
> 500 in public. There's a reason namespaces were invented long ago,
> and this is classic use case for same. :)

I disagree, see my post previously about initializing the extensions
schema to not be accessible initially. It would be there, it would be
loaded, but it would take a superuser to grant ability to access functions.

This allows a clean distinction between the modules while allowing their
access on a case by case basis.

>>> I don't see this as a big problem.
>> Well I am not really interesting in this. Someone else is welcome to
>> try that.
>
> It's really not hard, even for a C n00b like me. :)

I didn't say it was hard. I said I wasn't interested :)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/