Re: BUG #2934: INSTALL FAILURE - failed to set permissions

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Priyatam <priyatam(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2934: INSTALL FAILURE - failed to set permissions
Date: 2007-01-27 17:40:45
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Priyatam wrote:
> I solved it by creating a new user 'postgresql' with admin privileges
> before the setup began and it works fine. However Im disp to see that
> this doesnt work for an existing windows user with admin privileges.

It does for me. I do that all the time, and I've never had the problem.

> Your questions are invalid as in windows a user with admin privileges
> will have access to all folders.

That is simply false. There are several ways for a user with admin
privileges not to have access to a local folder on Windows. Read up on
NTFS ACLs and you'll find it.
There are also several cases where Windows will report access denied for
errors that *are not related to permissions*.

> You guys should do a better job of creating a user friendly installation
> package

We're trying. That's why I asked you those questions. Without feedback,
we can't make it better, because it works fine in all "normal"
situations for thousands of other people. We want to know *why* it
didn't work in your case, so we can fix it or at least document it.

//Magnus