BUG #2917: spi_prepare doesn't accept typename aliases such as 'integer'

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: BUG #2917: spi_prepare doesn't accept typename aliases such as 'integer'
Date: 2007-01-25 19:23:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The author of this bug was good enough to send me a copy, since I don't
normally read the -bugs list. It can now be found at
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2007-01/msg00111.php .

I dug into it a bit and found that pltcl and plpython appear to use
almost identical code, but only pltcl has this limitation documented.
I'm inclined to say we should document this for plperl and plpython for
stable releases and remove the limitation for all three for 8.3. I see
that SQL level prepare calls regprocin() to resolve type names, so maybe
we should that for the PLs when calling SPI_prepare as well.
Alternatively, should we adjust things lower down (e.g. in
typenameType() or LookupTypeName() ) ?

Comments?

cheers

andrew