Re: Piggybacking vacuum I/O

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Piggybacking vacuum I/O
Date: 2007-01-25 10:21:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Pavan Deolasee wrote:
> On 1/24/07, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>> Hmm. So there is some activity there. Could you modify the patch to
>> count how many of those reads came from OS cache? I'm thinking of doing
>> a gettimeofday() call before and after read, and counting how many
>> calls finished in less than say < 1 ms. Also, summing up the total time
>> spent in reads would be interesting.
>
> Here are some more numbers. I ran two tests of 4 hour each with CLOG cache
> size set to 8 blocks (default) and 16 blocks. I counted the number of
> read()
> calls
> and specifically those read() calls which took more than 0.5 ms to
> complete.
> As you guessed, almost 99% of the reads complete in less than 0.5 ms, but
> the total read() time is still more than 1% of the duration of the test. Is
> it
> worth optimizing ?

Probably not. I wouldn't trust that 1% of test duration figure too much,
gettimeofday() has some overhead of its own...

> CLOG (16 blocks)
> reads(743317), writes(84), reads > 0.5 ms (5171), time reads (186s), time
> reads > 0.5 ms(175s)
>
> CLOG (8 blocks)
> reads(1155917), writes(119), reads > 0.5 ms (4040), time reads (146s), time
> reads > 0.5 ms(130s)
>
> (amused to see increase in the total read time with 16 blocks)

Hmm. That's surprising.

> Also is it worth optimizing on the total read() system calls which might
> not
> cause physical I/O, but
> still consume CPU ?

I don't think it's worth it, but now that we're talking about it: What
I'd like to do to all the slru files is to replace the custom buffer
management with mmapping the whole file, and letting the OS take care of
it. We would get rid of some guc variables, the OS would tune the amount
of memory used for clog/subtrans dynamically, and we would avoid the
memory copying. And I'd like to do the same for WAL.

--
Heikki Linnakangas