Re: how to read bytea field

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: marcelo Cortez <jmdc_marcelo(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)ar>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: how to read bytea field
Date: 2007-01-24 14:24:06
Lists: pgsql-general

marcelo Cortez wrote:
>> Are you sure you tested with a real bytea field?
>
> Yeah , i store bytea using encode function , how you
> say .

No, you store using the decode function.

=> \df decode
List of functions
Schema | Name | Result data type | Argument data types
------------+--------+------------------+---------------------
pg_catalog | decode | bytea | text, text

> The field of my table is bytea type , and store real
> bytea data in this field.
> My problem is , i can't convert this field to text
> anymore, not function receiving bytea and return text
> exist's.

That's what your encode function should do.

=> \df encode
List of functions
Schema | Name | Result data type | Argument data types
pg_catalog | encode | text | bytea, text
(1 row)

What does "\df encode" show for you?
--
Richard Huxton