Re: About PostgreSQL certification

From: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: Theo Schlossnagle <jesus(at)omniti(dot)com>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Iannsp <iannsp(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: About PostgreSQL certification
Date: 2007-01-23 22:42:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Theo Schlossnagle wrote:

> Get a CCIE and tell me that again :-) When you are handed a complicated
> network of routers and switches running all sorts of version of IOS and
> CatOS and you go to lunch, they break it and you have a certain time
> allotment to fix it all.

I know all about CCIE - one session fixing up hardware is no substitute
for experience (and is still vulnerable to the methods I mentioned - it
is however a lot better than a multi choice exam of course).

To cure the shortage of experienced Postgres folks there is only one
solution - err, more experience! So the need is for good training
courses (not necessarily certification and all the IMHO nonsense that
comes with that), and a willingness on the part of employers to invest
in upskilling their staff.

Cheers

Mark