Re: DB benchmark and pg config file help

From: Kevin Hunter <hunteke(at)earlham(dot)edu>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Performance List <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: DB benchmark and pg config file help
Date: 2007-01-19 14:05:35
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 19 Jan 2007 at 8:45a -0500, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On 1/17/07, Kevin Hunter [hunteke∈earlham.edu] wrote:
>> I am in the process of learning some of the art/science of benchmarking.
>> Given novnov's recent post about the comparison of MS SQL vs
>> PostgresQL, I felt it time to do a benchmark comparison of sorts for
>> myself . . . more for me and the benchmark learning process than the
>> DB's, but I'm interested in DB's in general, so it's a good fit. (If I
>> find anything interesting/new, I will of course share the results.)
>
> Just remember that all the major commercial databases have
> anti-benchmark clauses in their license agreements. So, if you decide
> to publish your results (especially in a formal benchmark), you can't
> mention the big boys by name. [yes this is cowardice]

"Anti-benchmark clauses in the license agreements"?!? Cowardice indeed!
<wry_look>So, by implication, I should do my benchmarking with
"borrowed" copies, right? No sale, no agreement . . . </wry_look>

Seriously though, that would have bitten me. Thank you, I did not know
that. Does that mean that I can't publish the results outside of my
work/research/personal unit at all? Or do I just need to obscure about
which DB I'm talking? (Like Vendor {1,2,3,...} Product).

Appreciatively,

Kevin