Postgres and really huge tables

From: Brian Hurt <bhurt(at)janestcapital(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Postgres and really huge tables
Date: 2007-01-18 20:31:35
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-performance

Is there any experience with Postgresql and really huge tables? I'm
talking about terabytes (plural) here in a single table. Obviously the
table will be partitioned, and probably spread among several different
file systems. Any other tricks I should know about?

We have a problem of that form here. When I asked why postgres wasn't
being used, the opinion that postgres would "just <explicitive> die" was
given. Personally, I'd bet money postgres could handle the problem (and
better than the ad-hoc solution we're currently using). But I'd like a
couple of replies of the form "yeah, we do that here- no problem" to
wave around.

Brian