Re: exclusive locking on SELECT ?

From: James Neff <jneff(at)tethyshealth(dot)com>
To: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: exclusive locking on SELECT ?
Date: 2007-01-12 14:14:13
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Dave Cramer wrote:

> On 11-Jan-07, at 4:47 PM, James Neff wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I have 3 clients trying to do a select on the same table (different
>> rows). pgAdmin III Server Status shows the queries and has as mode
>> "Exclusive Lock" for all three.
> Are you doing select for update ? If so why so many rows ?

No updates, just a select. Is there a way (in Java) to only select one
row at a time from a resultset, and is this a good idea? The clients
are processing rows from this one table in 2000 record chunks. There
are about 9 million rows total to process.

>> How would I go about diagnosing this situation, and how do I fix it?
>
> Have you tuned the server ?

I'm doing a search now on "tuning postgres". Do you have any suggested
links that might pertain to my particular situation?

Thanks again,
James