Re: configuring the postmaster.log

To: Marc Mamin <M(dot)Mamin(at)intershop(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: configuring the postmaster.log
Date: 2007-01-11 12:24:26
Lists: pgsql-admin

Marc Mamin wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I'm confused about the logging destination parameters in postgresql.conf
>

> My Problem is that the postmaster.log is getting too large and I want
> to roll it (once per day)
>
> Following parameters apply to optional postgresql...log.
>

> log_rotation_age = 1440
> log_filename = 'postgresql-%Y-%m-%d_%H.log'
>

> Is there a way to use a similar definition for the postmaster.log ?
That is for the postmaster log - AFAIK there's only one log destination
(syslog or a standard file.)

> When I generate postgresql...log files, are log messages written in both
> postmaster.log and postgresql.log ?
I've never come across there being two files - "log_filename" says where
log messages are written - there aren't two files (AFAIK).
Have you got an stderr redirect that sends all postmaster output on
stderr to your own log file? If so, set silent mode on the log
configuration in your postgresql.conf to get the same effect - only it
will appear in the main postgresql log file defined by log_filename.

> I guess I don't understand the meaning of these two different logging
> destination.
>

> Moreover, I'm catching the error stream in a perl application to log
> errors:
>
> $sth = $dbh->prepare( "select ..." );
> $sth->execute ()||
> print (STDERR "PG error:" . $sth->errstr ."\n") && exit 1;
> $sth->finish;
>
> Will I still get the postgres error in perl if I set redirect_stderr =
> on in postgresql.conf ?
Setting "redirect_stderr = on" will mean that all errors that would
normally appear on the console that started the Postmaster will be sent
to log_filename instead..

--
Andy Shellam
NetServe Support Team

the Mail Network
"an alternative in a standardised world"