Re: SAPDB/MaxDB

From: Lukas Kahwe Smith <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SAPDB/MaxDB
Date: 2007-01-11 06:26:10
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Christopher Browne wrote:

Chris comments are spot on. In my thesis paper [1] I came to the
conclusion that in the end SAP's best move was to hand over SAP DB to
MySQL AB, not because MySQL AB could magically make the database
relevant in the OSS space, but because both companies then lended
eachother credit ..

SAP lended MySQL AB credit in the enterprise world.
And MySQL AB lended some credit to SAP in the OSS world.

Now that MySQL is close to SAP certification, SAP is getting where they
want things to be .. they want the database market commoditized so that
Oracle does not earn tons of money they can use to hit SAP in the
CRM/ERP market with acquisitions.

Originally SAP (who still employ 100 developers for MaxDB) and MySQL AB
were planning to develop an entirely new database together. I think that
one is off the table now.

Finally MaxDB does offer some interesting features. The main one being
that they require no maintaince at all. All reindexes and structures are
immidiatly brought into optimal condition. There is nothing like
OPTIMIZE TABLE or VACUUM necessary. Their point being that the database
should work with a constant performance in 24/7 shops.

regards,
Lukas

[1] http://pooteeweet.org/blog/534