IDENT authentication with md5 fallback

From: "Dustin C(dot) Hatch" <admiralnemo(at)dchweb(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: IDENT authentication with md5 fallback
Date: 2007-01-10 13:36:49
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello,

I was wondering if there is a way I can set up my pg_hba.conf to allow
"ident sameuser" authentication, but fall back to "md5" if it fails. I
would like users to be able to login to their databases (which
correspond to their usernames and ident responses), however when they
need to use PHP to login, they must enter a password because the ident
response will be different (always "apache" I would assume).

I have tried the following pg_hba.conf configurations, but I cannot seem
to get this right.

This results in only allowing users to login after entering the correct
password:
local sameuser all md5
local sameuser all
ident sameuser

This results in ident checking and returning FATAL without asking for a
password if it fails:
local sameuser all
ident sameuser
local sameuser all md5

So, how would I configure pg_hba.conf to work like this? Is it
possible, or should I only allow md5 and not worry about ident? Please
let me know.

--
Dustin C. Hatch
http://www.dchweb.com