Re: vacuum fails with 'invalid page header' message

From: Geoffrey <esoteric(at)3times25(dot)net>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: vacuum fails with 'invalid page header' message
Date: 2007-01-06 10:01:37
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 16:19, Geoffrey wrote:
>> Geoffrey wrote:
>>> We had a vacuum fail recently with the following error:
>>>
>>> invalid page header in block 846 of relation "move_pkey"
>>>
>>> Anyone have an idea what could cause this problem and what we need to do
>>> to resolve it?
>>>
>>> Running on Red Hat Enterprise 3, postgres 7.4.13
>> Regarding the issue above, is it possible that re-indexing the database
>> could resolve the problem, since the error is related to an index.
>> move_pkey is an index on field recid.
>
> Yes, reindex might fix it.
>
> But more than likely there's a problem with your hardware somewhere, and
> it needs to be checked out carefully for problems. i.e. bad hard drive,
> memory, cpu, etc...

After reindexing the table, vacuum full completes successfully. Would
this be an indication the reindexing corrected the problem?

Anything else the could possibly cause this problem? The sys admin is
doubtful it's hardware related. We don't see any errors in the system
logs to indicate there's a problem.

Is it possible that our application could cause such corruption?

--
Until later, Geoffrey

- Benjamin Franklin