Re: A patch to pg_regress for Windows port

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PGSQL-Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A patch to pg_regress for Windows port
Date: 2007-01-05 19:32:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Gurjeet Singh wrote:
> On Windows, if logged in as an Administrator, 'make check' fails with
> our standard error, saying:
>
> <quote>
> Execution of PostgreSQL by a user with administrative permissions is not
> permitted.
> The server must be started under an unprivileged user ID to prevent
> possible system security compromises. See the documentation for
> more information on how to properly start the server.
> </quote>
>
> But, for some time now, a Windows' Administrator *can* run a postgres
> without having to create a normal user; he just has to use pg_ctl to do
> so. Thanks to code written by Magnus, pg_ctl gives up it's
> administrative privilges before starting the postmaster, and hence the
> postmaster runs without critical privileges.
>
> So I thought that 'make check' could also make use of that
> functionality, and hence this patch.

Per previous discussion with Tom (in the archives, but I can't get there
right now), this is the wrong way to do it. We lose the ability to kill
the postmaster if it fails.

I have a proper working solution in my tree that I will submit soon
along with the changes required to make pg_regress work in a non-msys
environment using MSVC.

//Magnus