Re: help with version checking

From: Chris Dunworth <cdunworth(at)earthcomber(dot)com>
To: arnaulist(at)andromeiberica(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: help with version checking
Date: 2006-12-29 17:17:37
Lists: pgsql-sql

I'd probably make a small change to make this a little cleaner.

Specifically, change check_version() to take an argument, which is the
needed version, and check this against the current value in
agenda_version, throwing the exception if they don't match. Once you've
written this, you'll never need to touch it again (no more DROP
FUNCTIONs required).

Then, at the end of your update script, you update the version in the
table via normal SQL (no need for a single-use function that does this).

With these tweaks, your update scripts could be simpler, like this:

BEGIN;
SELECT check_version('1.0.0.0');
-- Do all your updates etc. here --
UPDATE agenda_version SET version = '1.0.0.1' WHERE id =1;
COMMIT;

HTH. Good luck...

-chris