domains and serial

From: BillR <iambill(at)williamrosmus(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: domains and serial
Date: 2006-12-27 03:10:24
Lists: pgsql-sql

Is it not possible to set up a domain using this construct? I will have
a lot of tables using integer and big integer types as primary key
identifier fields. It would make things simpler if I can use the serial
construct in a domain instead of using an int or bigint in the domain,
and then change each field in each table requiring a serial or bigserial
construct.

I just tried to create a domain using a bigserial type.

CREATE DOMAIN Identifier_DM AS bigserial;

I received the error message:

ERROR: type "bigserial" does not exist
SQL state: 42704

I tried to run this in both pgadminIII and in data architect 3.5.

Thanks.