Re: Help with quotes in plpgsql

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Richard Ray <rray(at)mstc(dot)state(dot)ms(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Help with quotes in plpgsql
Date: 2006-12-20 14:26:42
Lists: pgsql-sql

Richard Ray wrote:
> It makes sense when ya'll explain it
> It never sounds that good when I'm talkin to myself
> That solves my problem but not my ignorance
> I'm still curious about how would I properly quote
>
> create or replace function test(integer) returns setof text as $$
> declare
> a record;
> begin
> select into a now() - interval '$1 day';
^^^^^^^^

The basic mistake is that you're assuming strings interpolate variables.
This isn't true in plpgsql, never has been and probably never will.

So you can't do:
my_msg := 'Hello $1, how are you?';
You need:
my_msg := 'Hello ' || $1 || ', how are you?';

Don't forget most variables don't have a leading dollar sign. Imagine
you'd defined a variable called "day" in test() - you wouldn't expect
that to be interpolated, would you?
--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd