Re: time for PgAdmin IV ?

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Marian POPESCU <softexpert(at)libertysurf(dot)fr>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: time for PgAdmin IV ?
Date: 2006-12-20 11:12:58
Lists: pgadmin-support

Marian POPESCU a ecrit le 20/12/2006 11:57:
> Well, for me it seems that there were some serious efforts to overcome bugs
> in wxWidgets; today there is no PgAdmin3 1.6.1 for Fedora available: wxW
> 2.8.x was not released ...

This is a package issue. A packager can compile pgAdmin with wxWidget
statically linked and there will be no issue (but pgadmin will be alot
bigger). Distros prefer to package dynamically linked libraries with
good reasons : much smaller binaries, new library' release fixes stuff
on all binary, etc.

> On the other hand, this library allows you to develop and deliver a *single
> file* executable with the *same* code on at least 3 platforms at once ...
> Graphics are excellent and they are/look the *same* on the 3 platforms ...
> wx is kind of ugly (for me, at least) and takes a lot of screen space just
> to display big borders inside big borders ...
>
> Of course I'm not the developper of PgAdmin and surely I have no idea of
> what's inside its code - by the way, the devs are really doing a great
> job - but I guess it will not hurt to simplify and optimize - and to me
> PgAdmin needs it (how many bugs caused by wxW needed workarounds by now?).

Perhaps pgAdmin needs it but such a change would require so much hours
of work. We actually don't have the time.

> Having a framework that is instantly available on several platforms and that
> can be linked inside the executable file could be a nice advantage for
> PgAdmin: easy to install, not big size, and fully functional - could make
> life a lot easier for many out there ( including devs ;-) ) ...

wxWidgets is already able to do this.

Regards.

--
Guillaume.